View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 08:01 AM   #1
britannica213
Senior Yorkie Talker

Location: Westerly, Rhode Island, USA ( a small beach community)
Default PLE (protein losing enteropathy)

Hi everyone.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had a dog diagnosed with PLE. I was wondering how your vet has handled it and what the outcomes have been.

My little boy Maverick was diagnosed with it on 1/14/13. He was given prednisone and put on a high protein diet. When I brought him back on 1/18/13 his protein level was no higher and his medication was increased as well as told to continue the high protein diet.

Unfortunately, once I brought him home after the repeated bloodwork I had to rush him back. At that point he was in shock due to being sick and the anxiety from going to the vet ( he was a very anxious dog) and they provided him with oxygen. We were given the option to bring him to an emergency hospital where a plasma transfusion could be done, but we were told it would only prolong his life a few days and he would have to stay there. We would end up getting him back in pretty much the same condition.

My family made the difficult choice of bringing him home where he was comfortable and we could love him. He passed away peacefully early the next morning in my arms.

My family is truly heartbroken over the loss of our beloved Maverick. He had just turned 5 years old the day before he passed away.

I do have another yorkie at home, Remington, and I am doing my very best to ensure he is ok through this difficult transition. He is a pup that has never been without a playmate.

Anyways, I was just curious as to what others experiences with this medical condition have been.

Thanks
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!