Thread: Canine Caviar
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 06:07 PM   #43
mimimomo
Don't Litter Spay&Neuter
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RileyDC View Post
OOOOMG!! I am going to have to look at my labels more closely, now!!
I'm not so sure I want to be feeding Riley Carrageenan!!

I have fed WERUVA canned. I am Happy to see a few of their formulas has none!!
But I see a few do!!
I only feed it occassionally.... Like I will mix a teeny bit in with kibble.
And, I like that you can get the Weruva in Small cans.

Weruva - People Food for Pets - Dog Cuisine - Human Style
There are quite a few canned foods w/out carrageenan. We've tried Weruva too, they love it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseslevi View Post
I did manage to get a phone call back from Canine Caviar today after getting the run around earlier. I spoke with Amy, I told her that I was questioning the statement made on the about us page....that using the food would reduce the risk of cancer, when 3 of the 4 canned varieties listed contained a cancer causing agent. She told me that they have reformulated the canned variety to include a non-cancer causing gum thickener. It is on the market now, but so is the old formula. If you read ingredients, look for the canned variety that do not have carrageenan gum listed. She also told me that they would be updating the web site to show the changes. I told her that I was happy that she called me back and feel much better about the food.

Meanwhile still cleaning out my cupboards to make sure I don't have anything here with questionable ingredients.
Thank you so much for this info, I am so happy they're using something else other than carrageenan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2boyz View Post
O.k. so...the canned variety I just bought is the Venison in the pink can and it does not contain carageenan. The ingredients are: Venison, water sufficient for processing, venison tripe, liver and guar gum.
This must be the 'new' formula?

The dry food I bought is the grain free Wilderness ALS formula and the phosphorus level is: .8% min. and the protein is 26% min.

The ingredients are: Venison meal, split peas, yeast culture, lamb fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), sun-cured alfalfa, sun-cured kelp, FOS, calcium proteinate, sodium chloride, lecithin, choline chloride, parsley, fenugreek, peppermint, taurine, selenium, whole clove garlic, vitamin E, zinc proteinate, vitamin C, papaya, rose hips, yucca schidigera extract, niacin, beta-carotene, manganese proeteinate, vitamin D3, biotin, vitamin A, riboflavin, vitamin B-12, potassium proteinate, folic acid.

I do know they are 4 and 4 1/2 star foods on the rating charts and it contains none of the ingredients to avoid on the Dog Food Project website.

This gets so confusing to someone who knows just enough to get herself in trouble! lol! Is there anything in here that I need to be concerned about?

All I know for sure is that Moo has only been eating this for a couple of days and she isn't licking or scratching anywhere and it's nice to see her actually get to rest. Oh, and no doggie breath or dog food breath after her meals.
Yes, it looks like you got the new version. This link lists all the different vegetable gums, emulsifiers, stabilisers, etc. Food Additives Guide (400-495)
Guar Gum: Derived from the Seeds of Cyamoposis tetragonolobus of Indian origin; fed to cattle in the US; can cause nausea, flatulence and cramps, may reduced cholesterol levels.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!