Thread: Canine Caviar
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 05:00 PM   #41
Wylie's Mom
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RileyDC View Post
Yeah... I already know about the protein not causing kidney/liver damage but being bad if a dog already has kidney/liver damage. I was a little nervous about high protein formulas until I researched that. I read those White Papers of Champion Pet Foods and they really explain a Lot in detail.

Whether it was read incorrectly or not, I don't think that kidney/liver damage is an LOL type of matter... or deserved an Eye Roll... but okay.

In your previous post, what I read was: what CC said is that "a buildup of protein waste products causes liver and kidney damage" ...
- I guess I am confused as to what Protein Waste Products exactly is...
is it the same as just plain ole' Protein? sounds kind of gross...

What initially causes kidney/liver damage in dogs?
Is it the type of food they eat?? Is there anything that can be done to prevent it?

You may remember but I believe it was because of You that I started
feeding Riley RAW... Remember he had that bad reaction to the Lamb in the Primal. He really Loved it and was doing okay on it, but he always seemed Hungry... and then his old Vet, here in the City, really scared me and was Really Against it. He seems to be a pretty sensitive Pup, which is why I am so excited that Canine Caviar has been working for him for so long with no issues and no visits to the vet with any ear problems or skin issues. I think that I would rather feed raw than a canned food with that Carrageenan in it.... ?!
I'll just repost the CC quote that I put in the earlier post:

Quote from CC: ""A buildup of protein waste products causes kidney or liver damage. High-protein diets often promote foods such as red meat and full-fat dairy products. Some experts believe a diet rich in these foods can increase your risk of heart disease. A high-protein diet may cause liver or kidney problems because the body may have trouble eliminating all the waste products of protein metabolism.""

I'm not sure where you're going with the first part of this. In post #26 you said "That first Paragraph with some Bolded stuff is Absolutely TRUE!! I have an uncle and a cousin who are both on kidney dialysis." -- so you first agreed with the CC quote that says protein causes liver/kidney damage. Now in the post above you're saying "I already know about the protein not causing kidney/liver damage but being bad if a dog already has kidney/liver damage."

So, I'm scratching my head in trying to figure out where you are on that. I haz confusions.

As for the rest....eeesh, that's like an entire semester I had in nursing school! But I'll give some of it a shot. Protein is basically just different combos of amino acids. Protein waste is what naturally happens when digestion of the proteins occurs. ALL digestion results in waste, otherwise we wouldn't need toilets, which might be nice . Some of the waste made from prot digestion is like urea, creatinine, uric acid, water (of course) and I'm sure a few other things.

Liver or kidney damage can be caused by a huge number of things....genetics, injury, toxins, medications, cardiac probs (so easily affect kidneys), blood pressure, infections (bacteria, viral), structural issues (ie, Shunt), diabetes and I'm sure many more things I'm not thinking of.

Liver/kidney damage is not caused by protein (or carbs etc). The only way I can think of 'food' damaging is if the food contained toxins or carcinogens or whatnot, but again - that's not the *food* itself. Now excess fatty foods can cause all sorts of probs, but that's another story.

As for preventing it, I'm sure there are lots of schools of thought out there. I'm of the belief that a reasonable diet and good exercise goes a long way toward disease prevention in doggies. You've always been one to really research what Riley is eating, so I can't imagine that anything is getting in his little body that would really cause damage, ya know? Like you, I just try my best to be mindful of ingredients and I read stuff, and I learn from people on here.

The bottom line is that Riley is doing incredible on CC, so I don't think you have to worry much.

All I was trying to get at earlier was my concern over the incorrect info provided by CC. I'd be concerned whether it was CC, Primal, Champion, NV, Stellas...you name it. That's why I think this section is great, bc it's here to discuss this stuff and be aware of it.

°¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨° Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie °¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨°
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!