View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 09:46 AM   #2
lovespandp
♥Momma's Bambino♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolli_lah View Post
Alright yall! I'm not sure who out there remembers my little Lolli's story or not so sorry if I explain things you may already know before I get to the point.

So basically Lolli was a rescue who had 0 obedience training. We had gotten her at age 7 years old so basically we had to do some deep research and really get a good feel for how to go about training her for basics, like sit and NO and lay, how to walk with a leash, etc.

We had been trying to get her barking under control here and there. Honestly it is not that bad. She has freak out barking attacks when someone rings the doorbell and also if she hears a car horn for some reason. These are the 2 biggest things that make her bark. She has slight glaucomas so she really can't see that well when people are more than say 5-6 feet away so she may or may not bark at people or animals at a further range also. I think it depends on what she can smell? Anyway.

So I recently moved into a larger apartment complex. We were staying at a Townhouse where there was people but at a bit more distance and significantly less than an apartment complex has. But here there are a lot of cab drivers for some reason, I mean a lot. So there are lots of car horns, and a train in the distance you can hear sometimes, and if maintenance ever has to come then the doorbell will ring more often than at the townhouse.

So I really want to crack down on the barking. I know I cannot prevent her 100% from barking (and really don't want to as I know this is their way to communicate and I don't want to do that to her) but I want to be able to make her not freak out at car horns at least, because this happens up until pretty late at night and early morning, later than when I may be asleep and earlier than when I may wake up. So I want to be able to at least at certain situations be able to make her stop barking or at least stop barking but she can keep the grumbles and whinings.

I've been training her so far with treats. They have to be limited ingredient treats because her belly is sooo sensitive to stuff. I haven't needed treats for her other things like sit, stay and lay and NO for a long time now (she is now 10 years old) but what is a GOOD way to go about training her to stop barking?

I'm going to do some research on this elsewhere but I am hoping maybe someone has some input. So far I thought maybe to just put a treat at her nose to get her attention and say NO BARK! or STOP BARKING (which would be best?) and if she stops longer than 5-10 seconds then I give her the treat.

So what is the best way, and would my plan work? What do I do if she doesn't stop barking by smelling the treat?

That’s a hard one due to her circumstances. It sounds like your plan might work, I mean she probably barks a little more since she can’t see that great- I think she will be able to smell the treat for sure!! Hopefully someone comes on here with a little more advice!!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!