View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #14
AZYorkieDad
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Maddie was afraid of the walk in the beginning too. I used high value treats like chicken and was very patient with her, letting her smell and explore / become comfortable with the front of the house. I also took her to puppy socialization, met other dogs, and to the dog bakery and pet store to walk. I also followed my breeder's advice and carried her for a tiny bit to make her see it wasn't a big deal and cars weren't that scary. And now, when we're walking and she stops, most of the time if I keep facing the direction we want to walk and just gently tug or give a correction sound, she will start walking again. Sometimes I also accelerate the walk to get her ears to push back and get into the travelling mode, like Cesar Millan says in his programs.

But I also give her time to relax and sniff around. So when we're at any destination, I say "okay, go" and let her do whatever for a few minutes.

Last edited by AZYorkieDad; 01-20-2013 at 11:03 AM.
AZYorkieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!