View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #8
Yorkiemom1
Rosehill Yorkies
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjane View Post
Judy, I don't mean to disagree with you. I simply want to say that I took two dogs into my home that were biters...and worked with them using positive training methods, including time outs, and they both did very well. I do not believe in hitting a dog because it bites because hurting them is only reinforcing that they should be afraid.
As you said, you have been fortunate and not had to deal with it.
To the OP: I honestly have never heard of a puppy being that way. Perhaps it is some kind of issue that is not fixable. I honestly cannot say since I have no experience with this. Good luck to you.
You have experience with this and know how to deal with this behavior...the ONLY encounter I ever had with this was from a cousins poodle, who used to bite and snap regurarly at not only my cousin, but anyone that came to her home. I was visiting one time, ShuShu jumped and snapped at me, and I did not hit her.....I am trying to think if I have ever actually HIT a dog.....but I did grab the dog with both of my hands, on either side of her face, and we had a serious "talk", nose to nose......I growled and in a very firm, LOW, LOW voice, told her NO!!!! NO!!! NO!!!, all the while holding her face/head right in my hands, looking directly in my eyes.....when I released her, she ran off to the other end of the cpouch and we just watched each other very closely for the next couple hours. I told Kathy I wanted to feed her....when we went to the kitchen, and I put her bowl down, she had that look, cutting her eyes up at me, curled her lips and acted like she wanted to snarl and jump at my hand, I growled and told her NO!! NO!!!....and then I put her bowl down....she went to her bowl, I let her eat a coupler of bites, I reached for the bowl, she froze but did not make any aggressive move.....I told her Good girl, ShuShu.......I moved away and let her eat in peace.....and several times during the evening, I delibertly engaged her and she never growled or snapped at me again. I stayed there for a weekend, and then I began to reward her with a treat if she allowed me to place her bowl or toy or approach Kathy...anything that had made her aggressive, she managed to keep it under control, and she got a treat.... Now I have absolutely NO idea if that is the correct method of correcting this behavior, but it worked for me in this instance....and fortunately, I have not had to deal with that in any of my own dogs!
Yorkiemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!