View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 04:03 PM   #7
ladyjane
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkiemom1 View Post
Let me start by saying how sorry I am that you even have to be contemplating such a move. I can understand how it is weighing on your mind.....
Next thing I will say is I AM NO TRAINER.....my dogs are not excellent examples of well trained obedient little attentive souls, but we have established rules and regulations in the house, and everyone complys....they understand what momma will not allow, and they will seldonm deliberately push the envelope.....I am sorry to admit they do get away with some bad behaviors...like racing thru the house....excited "talking and joyful expressions" when momma gets home from anyplace!....jumping all over me when I get home from work.....I do NOT hit my babies, but I do have a rolled up newspaper that I beat the heck out of MY leg with, and that has worked for me on several more stubborn issues, like bolting for the front door, or cornering the cat in the kitchen when she is trying to drink water. BUT THERE IS ONE THING THAT I ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT TOLERATE....I WILL NOT TOLERATE ANY OF THESE DOGS SHOWING ANY TYPE OF AGGRESSION TOWARDS ME, AND I WILL SMACK A DOG FOR BITING AT ME OR ACTUALLY MAKING CONTACT WITH ANY PART OF ME. I do not believe in "time outs" or persuasive gentle coddling to try to persuade a dog not to bite the hand that feeds him. I have never had any of my dogs bite me, or bite at me, or show ANY type of aggression at all towards me...that behavior will NOT be tolerated. But then I am blessed with personalities in my dogs that are NOT bent toward any type of aggressive behavior......I guess if I ever ended up with a dog that did have this personality flaw, I too would rehome it, rather than continually trying corporal punishment to irradicate the behavior.....
Judy, I don't mean to disagree with you. I simply want to say that I took two dogs into my home that were biters...and worked with them using positive training methods, including time outs, and they both did very well. I do not believe in hitting a dog because it bites because hurting them is only reinforcing that they should be afraid.
As you said, you have been fortunate and not had to deal with it.
To the OP: I honestly have never heard of a puppy being that way. Perhaps it is some kind of issue that is not fixable. I honestly cannot say since I have no experience with this. Good luck to you.
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!