View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #1
barkleylove
YT Addict

Default To Spay or Not to Spay before first heat

Hi Everyone, I'm looking for some advice on when to spay my female yorkie, Maggie. She and her litter mate, Bogey are about 5 1/2 months old now. I have been advised by Bogey's physical therapist to not have him neutered until he's finished growing (about 8 months to a year old). The same vet's office said they do not spay females until that time either (will talk to vet on Tues). If I only had one dog or they were the same sex I wouldn't be concerned but I sure don't want to take any chances on an accidental mating. First question is...Do you recommend waiting that long? I've heard pros and cons. It's been many years since I had a female. At that time they recommended letting them go through one heat before spaying, then it changed so I'm not sure what is best. Second questions is...I know it will sound silly but is there anything I can do to prevent them from mating besides separating them? They have been together since birth so it won't be easy. They love each other and sleep side by side. Are there any signs that I can look for that she is coming into heat? If there is maybe I could have her spayed right before? I don't know what to do!!!!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!