View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 06:55 AM   #6
ladyjane
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member

I am sorry you are dealing with a sick pup. I have had a few pups that were in renal failure and they often do respond to treatment. When their levels are elevated like your pup's are now, the important thing is fluids, fluids, fluids....it is like a type of dialysis. From what you posted, it looks like the numbers are coming down, so hopefully they will continue to do so. This could take a few days!

After that, the most important thing for your pup will be diet. I would strongly suggest that you speak with your vet about what diet is best. What I have used in the past are Hill's K/D and Purina N/F. I found that the N/F was liked more by my pups. If you don't mind home cooking, you could do a consult with a vet nutrionist. I would not try to concoct my own diet....it is very important to get the diet right!

Often these pups are very nauseous....there is a medication that helps with that...it is Mirtazapine. You can ask your vet about that.

I will pray for you and for your pup. I hope the fluids continue to help. I have maintained pups for years when they had renal failure....of course sometimes it does not respond well...but I wanted you to know that sometimes it will.

Please keep us posted!
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!