View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 07:47 AM   #11
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Oh, man, Mike! That is scary! I am so glad it didn't end worse.

It's so hard to say... you're right, I don't think you could have done anything 'better'. And I think if that Pit had REALLY gone in for a 'kill'... he may have succeeded. You are lucky you were able to get him off so fast.

In situations like that, my instinct kicks in. I had an incident somewhat similar where a Lab (not being friendly) charged us on a walk. It took me .2 seconds of not knowing what to do... then I, like you, lifted him up by his harness into my arms and THANKFULLY, my step-mom and her friend were walking with me. Otherwise, I'm not sure what I would have done. Jackson of course was thrashing around in my arms trying to fight back. Especially being up in my arms, makes him even more vulnerable and goes into 'attack' mode. So then you're trying to deal with TWO dogs acting aggressively.

There was a separate time where we were visiting a friends townhouse, standing in their front yard, and the neighbors small dog (20ish lbs) came bolting out the door straight to attack Jackson. Before even thinking twice, I leaped onto the ground after him, and separated the two dogs. Lol, it's funny thinking back now. But really, something just kicked in, and I knew I had to protect MY dog.

I met a lady at the dog park the other day who said her Chi mix was attacked by a big dog on a walk, and needed surgery. She was by herself but thankfully, somewhat close to home. And this is a neighborhood I walk in frequently. It makes me nervous now... I don't like walking by myself w/ just him as much as I used to. Because I honestly don't know what I'd do if another dog charged us. I was considering buying some pepper spray or something too.

But, wow... so glad everything is okay!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!