View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
coco_momma
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Question Sensitive skin, chewing her feet

Found y'all, and registered here today while searching for reasons/suggestions for my itchy little girl!
Been reading many threads and want to start a new one.
Here's MY story.....<sigh>

I've always had multiple furry kids.
Had to put my beloved 14yo Yorkie, Chloe, , down 5 months ago.
Her daughter, Coco, just turned 9. I also have a 13yo LH Chihuahua (coco's poppa) and a 3yo Aussie.

Momma started scratching and licking her feet, and her skin was always red, with raised brown spots when she got to be 10 yrs old.

Back then we took to find out what was going on. We knew she was VERY sensitive to flea bites her whole life, tho she hadn't had fleas in years. The vet did skin scrapings, blood tests, we added vitamins/oils and eliminated/changed foods and shampoos, tried itch conditioners, even cortisone creams, put products on the lawn to kill bugs, didn't use any products on lawn. Rinsed her feet when she came in from outside. Got rid of carpets, washed floors w/ vinegar and water.
Her condition only had temporary relief from 24/7 12 months out of the year scratching, for a day or two after baths or from the topical anti-itch creams.

2 months ago, Coco started biting her ankles/scratching, and her skin looks red. <smilies ripping hair out of head>

Years, sadly, of "research" has me convinced that there is some "Yorkie sensitivity/skin issue". None of the dozen dogs I've owned, all diff purebreds, have experienced this skin issue except for my 2 Yorkies.

Sorry for the diatribe, but wanted to share my experience in hopes that y'all might have some thoughts/suggestions.

THANKS for reading! And any thoughts!!!
Sharon
coco_momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!