View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #12
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmiecue View Post
I came to this forum hoping to find some others that may have yorkies with this disease. My baby is very sick and was diagnosed with pancreatitis a few years ago. He has episodes off and on but recently in the past month has been fairly sick more often than not. We have seen the vet 3 times and it's always the same..gives him anti nausea meds, a shot for pain and IV fluids for dehydration. He is on a special diet of home made food. I cook lean chicken breast with no fat, sweet potato, brown rice and blend it up with Hilary`s blend vitamin supplements. I just spent all night up with him vomiting, when he drinks water he throws it up and is not even keeping the medication down. I am taking him back into the vet..but if anyone has any stories they can share with me on how I can help him get better..I am terrified I am going to find him lifeless on morning. Thanyou Kim
I have a pup who gets acute bouts of pancreatitis. It blows over quickly and fluids are given early. I'm very comfortable treating at home after she sees the vet (some might say even to a fault). But your pup NEEDS to be in the hospital on an IV for several days. Drugs need to be given by injection. Bloodwork should be done unless you have done it fairly recently. An ultrasound may ge needed. It isn't even necessary to think about diet right now. Your pup can barely hold down water. If your vet can't fix this long term them maybe a specialty hospital? i'm concerned that your fear willcome true and you will wake up after your pup has passed. It is extremely serious.

Then when pup is stabilized and keeps food down at the hospital consider talking to a veterinarynutritionist if you haven't already. I know Hilary's Blend is highly regarded in CA. Not sure what is in it though.

What is the protein/fiber breakdown of this diet! it may be too soon for sweet potato. Also, high protein can be more of aconcern than high fat. Need to watch both along with fiber and individual ingredients.

My dog has not had an episode for two years. She is on an rx food. The kind is irrelevant bc all pancreatitis patients are different. There is nothing wrong with homecooking with an expert tormulating the recipe. It just ended up not working well over time for my girl. She has many issues and an rx food works best oddly enough.

Commercially IMO some possible foods are RC LF, Purina HA, And maybe Purina EN and SD I/D.

I hope your pup is at the hospital now.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!