Thread: Fleas?
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 06:47 AM   #1
Handlewithcare
Yorkie Yakker

Default Fleas?

Gosh I think we found a flea on J! He was treated with his first preventative treatment (given to us by the vet) which was a spot on treatment - 1 week ago and we were told we were OK to take him out for walks 3 days after that because it coincided with the end of the wait after his final injection.

We've been taking him out for 3 short walks a day and I'm pretty sure he has now caught fleas!
I comb him every day and spot wash to clean muddy paws etc. as and when required and he has a bath once a week with puppy shampoo.

I keep our flat clean and tidy and vacuum in the morning and again in the evening plus change the bedding in his crate every three days (washing it at 90), I've also been washing the throws on our sofa and area rugs every few days too.

Today when combing him I noticed a few (maybe 5-7) white specks on his hair (eggs?) so I took him into the bathroom so I could comb him through on a white surface and I pulled a little wriggly black animal from him. Now I don't think it was a tick because my parent's dogs seemed to attract those like crazy and this looked nothing like that. Unfortunately I was so freaked out by it, I didn't take a good look and automatically flushed it down the loo.

Is he likely to have fleas only one week after at vet prescribed treatment? Could it have been something else?

I'm worried to the point of sickness. I know fleas come with the territory but I've never seen a flea and worry so much about getting infested and the fact that if he has them at 13 weeks when we've been so careful - is this a sign of things to come?

I should add he isn't itchy AT ALL, apart from 2 seconds after his harness goes on. Not scratching, no fussing etc.

What do I do? I have all his bedding in the wash now, and once that is out I'm stripping the covers off the sofa but what do I do? Should I treat him with something despite the preventative treatment only 1 week ago? He only weighs 1.5kg and we had to get the preventative treatment direct from the vet because the over the counter preventative treatments are for dogs 2kg+ only. Will treatments for the problem have similar limits?

Help!

P.S. I'm in the UK, if that factors into any advice.
Handlewithcare is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!