View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #8
rubynrosie
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Thanks for starting this thread!

I've been diagnosed with major depression. I believe looking back I have had depression on and off even while growing up..but back then my family's motto was "pull up your boot straps" and move on. My first episode came after 9-11. It was almost a shock to my body and I couldn't stop reading or watching news pieces about it. I ended up in therapy and on medication. It lifted after a year or so and so I stopped taking my medication. Then in 2007 my best friend's husband died and work issues cropped up. Again started therapy and medication. Lost insurance soonafter due to the depression causing me to miss a ton of work so quit my medication. Then in 2010 moved. Quite soon after my move I lost my Samoyed to an lllness, 2-17 year old cats from old age and my special little Lola in accident...couple that w an aging parent who is "losing it" a hurtful break up and extremely emotional time at work...and guess what...yep it reared its ugly head again! Back in to therapy and on medications. It sucks when it hits...I can't sleep or I feel like I can't get enough sleep its hard to concentrate and I could cry at anything. I've had to educate my family about medication...my mom still says those pills are going to make you commit suicide...but I feel very fortunate...I've never had to be hospitalized and the worst truly that happened to me was getting fired from a job. I feel fortunate in that my line of work (child protection) has educated me in mental health issues--however I also know because that is a very demanding emotional line of work that I need to take care of myself even more so. Im not afraid to get into therapy or take medications...I just need ro remind myself that just because im feeling well doesn't mean I can quit taking the medications! I also try to eat healthy, exercise, get plenty of rest, make sure I have hobbies and take time off from work. I also am so thankful for my yorkies and other pets...even on my darkest days I know they are dependent on me and I need to feed them potty them and play w them so they don't allow me to just stay in bed!!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!