View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
McheleM
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynzy420 View Post
I know many of my dear friends on here, and in real life, share various forms of emotional disorders....some folks like to refer to them as emotional disorders while others only understand them as mental disorder.

I have been having a very heavy battle with it lately as I live with controlled PTSD everyday...meaning its there and I deal with it everyday...but in addition I am now dealing Seasonal Associative Disorder (SAD)...regardless of what each of us is "labeled" I know many of us "deal" with it on a daily basis and perhaps a place to vent with folks who already care about you might not be so bad...

care to share? What are you doing about your condition? Therapy, medicines? What has worked and what hasn't?

How does it affect your daily life?
My depression was brought on by a cancer diagnosis. Not many people know how dark things were for me, and it saddens me and embarrasses me to admit it, but I had a suicide attempt because of the depression. I decided I didn't need medications, hell at one point, I even decided to check myself out of the hospital AMA and that I didn't need chemo or radiation either. And in the midst of all this, my husband left me and filed for divorce. This of course made the depression worse.

To me, depression isn't a label. It's an illness, just like cancer or diabetes. If you had cancer or diabetes, you would seek treatment. You would have surgery and chemo and radiation for the cancer and you would take insulin for the diabetes. Depression is no different. In diabetes, your pancreas quits working to make the insulin your body needs. In depression, that little part of your brain quits working that makes the serotonin your body needs.
Taking medication for depression is no different that taking insulin for diabetes.

I'm glad to say that with medication, counseling and a whole lot of support from friends on YT, in real life and a few select family members, I am not depressed, there have been no suicide attempts, and DH and I are on the mend. Things still come up, but I've learned better coping tools, and I've learned to ask for help BEFORE I need it. I know what signs to look for to tell me I'm getting depressed and either need to adjust some meds or talk to my dr or counselor and seek advice from them.

You are not alone! This was the hardest thing for me to wrap my mind around. There are other people who feel just as bad or worse for the same or different reasons. I felt like the only person in the world with this problem and thought I was going to have to figure it out for myself. Don't be afraid to talk to someone, and if they don't listen, talk to someone else. Ask for help!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!