View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #6
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryFry View Post
I think zoey might have pra. I read an article on it, and she has all the signs. About 6months ago she started having bad vision at night or in dim light. I honestly didn't think anything of it because I thought she was too young to go blind (she's only 4.5) and I've never heard of PRA. Plus the vet never said anything about her eyes, so I thought Zoey was just a "clumsy" or "slow" dog. I don't know, but I feel bad that it's gone on for this long. At night or in dim light she seems to have a harder time seeing things. For example if you throw her toy she'll have a harder time finding it 90% of the time. Unless she watches you throw it, but even then she'll have a hard time. She usually finds it once she's smelled around a bit for it. And if the cat or other dog jumps up beside her she'll have a little freak out and jump up yapping at them. In the day time she seems to have no problem. I have also notice what looks like a round light in each of her eyes. Zoey goes to the vet on January 21st to see how her Lymes Disease is, and I plan on mentioning to the vet that I suspect Zoey has PRA. I know PRA does eventually cause blindness, and it's usually the owner who has a harder time adjusting then the pet. I feel really bad, and sad for my dog because I do suspect she has PRA. I know she can live a almost "normal" life if she does have PRA and goes blind. If she does happen to have it, is there anything I can do for her? Or do for myself not to feel so sadden by it?
I am sorry to hear that your pup might have PRA. I believe with eye problems seeing a board certified opthamologist is best. Also as this is a genetic condition once diagnosis is confirmed, then her breeder needs to know about this diagnosis.

As far as I am aware nutritional support "might" help and should not hurt.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!