View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #5
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

The second time I bred a dog when I was younger and didn't know why I shouldn't, my female only had one and she hated it, tried to bite it, had to be made to lie still and let it nurse, couldn't be left alone with it. Her delivery was tough and I think she felt bad and knew that pup was connected in some way. haha. That may be just my imagination but I think she did. As soon as it was born when went for it. She never ate the placenta or exhibited any normal maternal behavior at first and for a long time and the vet just showed me how to help the pup urinate/defecate, gave me back-up formula recipe and told me to wait a while before allowing her near the pup. He felt she would come around in time. After 2 weeks, she did come around and accepted her puppy, began watching it, then approaching it, licking/grooming it, nuzzling and protecting it, raised it normally after that, though I watched her closely just in case. She finally bonded with it after 2 long weeks and nursed it normally until weaning and she would have let it suckle long after that but I would take it away to keep her milk dried up. After that, my days as a breeder were OVER and that was that! Never again! But she and her baby were BFF's for life after that first 2 weeks. Just give your momma some time off and she might come around and accept her baby after a while. But watch her closely when they are together as no doubt your vet has advised.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!