View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
alaskayorkie
Banning Thread Dictator
Donating Member

I'd strongly recommend an obedience course, or more than one. You can get advice here or elsewhere online, but it really helps to have someone watch you and give you feedback on how it's working.

That said, the classes I've taken have taught a formal heel by having us hold a treat by your side just out of the dog's reach while you say "heel" or whatever command you want. Start slowly and reward for just a few steps of success, then build on that. Eventually, you'll be able to keep the treat in your pocket and only reward occasionally.

The problem with little dogs is it can force you to change your posture when dangling a treat close enough to get their attention. One instructor had me put a cheese spread on a plastic spoon and hold that just out of the dog's reach.

But that's a formal heel. Loose-leash walks are often good enough for most people. For that, I stop when the dog pulls. Change direction frequently so they have to keep some focus on me. Or even reverse direction and walk the other way. You want the dog watching you and bending to your desires rather than the other way around.

But again, if at all possible, take an obedience course. I found them addictive. Once you see they work, you might find yourself taking more. A wise trainer once told me that she recommends keeping pups in obedience classes their whole first year.

Good luck!

Last edited by alaskayorkie; 01-02-2013 at 10:03 PM.
alaskayorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!