View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #1
Gale56
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default New with several questions

I will start by apologizing for a long first post. We added a furchild after being without our 14 year old yorkie for one year. So it has been a while since we have had a puppy. Picked him up two days before Christmas.
Brody is 15 weeks and 3 lbs. Came from a lovely breeder who also had 17+ yorkies. We use a crate minus the door in a doggy pen 3' x 5.5'. We use a weewee pad in a holder. First week no accidents. We took him out to play on and off into a larger area occasionally through the days and eves but the rest of the time in his inside yard. Week two we are having issues with him tearing the weewee pad. We started with human pads the breeder gave us but then changed to the puppy pads that also have a scent attractant. Not sure if this could have caused the change in success. Now he has pooped a couple of times in his room and crate. Have changed back to human pads hope that will work. any suggestions???? What do we do when he goes to the pads for reasons other than pottying? Our ultimate goal once he is an adult is to have him use pad in his area during the day when we are at work and when we are home that he would ring a bell at the door to utilize a pad on the porch. Is this realistic?
Next is the crate. I noticed that all of his friends at the breeder climbed on top of furniture and I am concerned he will jump on the crate and out of his room when we are at work. Other than having him comfortable with using the crate if needed, what is the advantage of continuing to use the crate over a bed if he is using the pads pretty successfully?
Other than that we love him to peices but want to get this right and not undo what he has already accomplished.
Thank you for any suggestions,
Gale & Brody
Gale56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!