View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #1
yorkpup
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default New to forum, with noob questions.

Hello to all from sunny southern California.

We have just decided that it may be time to add a new member into our family, and after some research we have zeroed in on yorkies.

Being new to dog-ownership/yorkshire, I have lots of question and was wondering if I could get some guidance.

1. Age: We are thinking that we should not get a pup that is too young so that the pup would be at least somewhat toilet trained. Is this right and what would be the recommended age?

2. Bloodline: We are not so picky on the lineage of the pup. We are just looking for one that is healthy, well tempered, and good looking. It seems that the AKC paperwork is quite high on the list of things to look for. Is it really important? If so, how would/should I (someone that knows nothing about Yorkshire bloodline or how a official document looks like) go about verifying it?

3. Source: It appears that YTCA.org is the recommended place to look for breeders. Are breeders the only safe place to look for a pup? The YTCA recommended breeder list is quite limited, is this the only safe place to look for a breeder? What are the things to look for to identify good/reputable breeder?

4. Price: I know that pups from certain bloodlines can get quite expensive. But being that bloodline isn't important to us, what is a fair/common price for a yorkie?

5. Gender: We are leaning towards a boy, but are there anything worth noting (i.e. look, behavior, personality) when comparing the two?

6. What-To-Look-For: When looking at the pups, beside the way the pup looks, energy level, and just the basic interaction between the pup and us, what are some other key things to look for? For example, are there any common things to look for to determine a healthy puppy? Or, if it's even a yorkie at all ().

Any other tips, recommendations, suggestions are very much welcomed.

Thanks!!
yorkpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!