View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 07:09 AM   #10
eleash
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Indigo has the same dry, flaky skin issue on her mid-to-lower back. We've had her 2 weeks now, rescued from a shelter. She, too, had some fleas which have now been treated, and was super filthy/stinky. The flaky area is dry, but her hair there seems a little oiler than the rest of her. I do see a few healing flea bites, and she will chew/lick that area still, so maybe the "oiliness" is just from her saliva. This area also seems to smell more than the rest of her.

She was fed Halo at the shelter, and they sent us home with a bag of it, which is nice. I guess Halo donates all the shelter food. I've been mixing it increasingly with Organix Grain Free Small Breed, and supplementing with salmon oil and probiotics, so hopefully once we are all the way onto the Organix things will have cleared up.

Now that her incision from being fixed is healing I am FINALLY okay to bathe her, which I've done once (but lots of wipes/sponge baths), and I'm resisting to urge to bathe her every evening when I groom her and see those flakes, because I don't want to overdry her skin. Her hair is so thin and silvery that I can see any red/irritated areas from across the room.
eleash is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!