View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 11:35 AM   #10
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemy View Post
Okay but why? Humans don't go under anaesthesia for de scaling? I understand if a permanent tooth, especially a back molar needs to come out.... I also understand that if the dog is very nervous or dis-obedient and that is the "only" way a dental can be done. Razzle gets descaled by his breeder twice a year. She wraps him up in a towel. She hold his head still. He survives. It takes about 10-15 minutes tops.

It is interesting because in the large dog breeds it is not common to put them under for only a dental. In fact we do brush et al, but it seems to me that vets are not encouraging anaethesia for a dental.
Sedation dentistry for humans is actually big business. Personally, I can sit through a root canal with only a shot of novocane.

Call my dogs nervous or disobedient, but they will not allow me to use the Sonicare toothbrush on them, so I know they will not sit for a full dental cleaning and possible tooth extraction. The risk of injury with sharp tools scraping under the gumline is much worse than anesthesia. The risk of bodily injury if my dogs are improperly restrained is worse than anesthesia.

We had our large dogs anesthetized for their dental work too, but they only had to have it once in their lifetimes.

Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!