View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 09:42 AM   #4
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Welcome to YT

I would definitely take her into the vet for a complete check up. That urination pattern might indicate a problem, such as a UTI. And I would suggest bringing in a urine sample with you. Keeping on with that "end" of the dog, have the vet check to see if the anal glands need expressing. She might have rubbed her rear end -ie scooting along the floor if her glands are full.

Her teeth should be checked to see if a dental is needed as well. Have the vet check out the knees too; for luxating patella.

In terms of food I home cook, so I can offer no kibble suggestions. A full cup of food a day for a 5lb Yorkie is way to much IMO. But it does depend on a number of individual factors. Such as their metabolism rates, how physically active they are, are two such factors. I believe in feeding each dog from their own bowl, this way I do know how much they are eating.

In terms of hyperness, you will need to give her a little more time to see if she settles down. Quite frankly most of the time I attribute hyperness to lack of appropriate exercise. A well exercised dog is one that for sure will be calmer overall. My Yorkie can literally go all day. Between hiking and swimming as an adult he keeps up with my large breed dog. These might not be activities you are drawn to, but there are many things you can do in and around the home.
Trick training, builds up muscles, expends energy as well in the form of the mental activity required.
Fetching balls another good one for burning off excess energy.
Playing find the "treat" is another good one, or find that toy.

We had a member who created a whole indoor agility course for her Yorkie.

Finally on the subject of spaying if she isn't, please seriously consider getting this done.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!