View Single Post
Old 12-25-2012, 10:38 AM   #20
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchgirl View Post
There is a marked difference between a thought out puppy purchase and an impulse. Puppies purchased on impulse are usually not a good idea regardless of the date on the calendar.

So true, we got our Razz man Dec 30th; but we are adults and we planned for him coming into our home then. Of course there was no out and about NY Eve, we had a few close friends in, for dinner. We had a whole week home with him, as we took extra vacation time to make sure we did. We had checked with our vet's business hours and knew in advance we could take him in on the 31st for his wellness exam.

His breeder actually came to our home a good two wks before for dinner, and she went over our plans for his safety, as we had one very large male, a large cat, and another large puppy on the way about 4wks later. We had the requisite gates available a number of crates, and an Xpen for him.

That whole week we used to bond with our human family and other critters. And a rush visit to Rens, as I had failed to get winter booties, and a warm coat for him. That was after our first walk, where as game as he was, he was frozen! I have a pic of baby Razz cuddle in my winter jacket...what the pic doesn't show is the whole time I was holding him to get him warmer, he was struggling to get out and walk and run with his big bro. We also learnt the Yorkie walk.... Look down before moving and start with a shuffle Oh yes the harness I bought him was too big, and that first walk in the park, he snuck out of it...thank God I always carry an extra lead and with a little ingenuity I fashioned a collar/lead for him. Did I mention he didn't know Come yet? So we called Magic to us and of course he followed to be scooped up and leashed up lol lol.

So while we did our best to plan in advance for his arrival; still it was a learning experience for all ... and there were things we just knew would come up that we hadn't anticipated. Like the warm coat and booties. Owning a large double coated breed we just were not used to winter coats for dogs. And our and our breeders focus was more on the pups physical safety.

We learnt we needed to create an outdoor potty area for him and keep it free of snow.

We had loads of time, to take frequent car rides, mini walks, and Magic and Razz to bond as a pack. We had puppy proofed our home, and then meant for us taking down our tree early; so there would be no accidents with the tree. WE took him with us for swimming, well actually to observe Magic swimming in the indoor pool while I held Razz. Another exercise in wiggle wiggle - Moms I need to go IN IN IN! About 6wks later he got his wish as he had his final shots.

While we did not have young or even old children, we did have one large dog albeit obedience trained and with a history of being good with his wee training buds (Yorkies), but still different as this Yorkie is in his home now.

Razzle is not so much of a lapdog, as he learnt from Magic, that the big dogs sit at Mom's feet. So he sits at Mom's feet. I swear he thinks he is a BRT
Truly he shows little interest in Yorkies, but let a large black dog go by and he wants to play with them! Razzle went dock jumping with a whole parcel of BRT's last year, and was in his element. None of those big dogs phased him at all! That is both good and bad news, as you experienced YOrkie owners know.
I do so wish he had some more caution in him. He expects everyone to love him. And thinks nothing of jumping up into the Blackie's faces. I do so wish that Magic or even Zoey had disciplined him for this. Lord knows I have tried and continue to try to break this habit of his!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!