View Single Post
Old 12-25-2012, 07:08 AM   #13
gracielove
YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuinnessStout View Post
I guess I am a bad person.. I purchased my child a puppy for Christmas too... I know I should know better BUT I promise she will not end up in a shelter because Guinness will love his puppy
Yep still sticking with my the puppy is his present story
Several years back when I was a divorced single mom, I had just graduated from college (I went back after the divorce) My kids wanted a puppy really badly and one of them had a friend who had a litter of Shih Tzu puppies. Kids really know how to guilt a divorced parent. I caved even though I knew I should not have done it. Of course the puppy was a darling but kids are kids. All the promises of caring for the pup were soon forgotten. They were always too busy with something else to take the puppy out or feed it or clean up after it. I considered re homing the pup. Then I decided it would be irresponsible to take on a puppy and then turn it over to someone else. I decided to forget that it was the kids puppy and it became MY puppy. We sometimes had to live in less than suitable housing because it was more difficult to find an apartment that would accept pets. It took a few years before we were back on our feet again. But that little guy was with me until he was 15 years old. He was the most loyal friend I had during some very difficult days.
We had to make some sacrifices to keep that little dog. Sadly, many people will not let an animal ruin their being able to have what they want. If a parent wants to get a pet for their child they need to realize that that pet is really going to be the parents responsibility. They are the adults and need to decide if they want to take on all that goes with having a pet. So many people think getting a puppy is like getting the latest electronic toy!
gracielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!