View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 09:53 PM   #8
Lolasmom1211
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowad View Post
I am not a yorkie owner so i aplogize in advance.
I do however own 3 maltese andi found this forum after doing google searches on liver shunts.
I have a girl who will be 3 in march.
She just had the shunt surgery and I am going nuts trying to figure out if her behavior is normal for post op.
She had the procedure on thur...stayed in a hospital that is about 3 hours away until Saturday.
I picked her up and took her home .
She is on antibiotics, anit seizure meds, pain meds, and lactilose
She has been pretty tired and not moving too much...she's eating and drinking but Only when I pick her up carry her to her bowl and feed her by hand.
She actually threw up twice today...it was in a row...not seperate parts of he day.
She is sleeping next to me right now so I can monitor her.
I have no idea if this is normal or if she needs to go back to the hospital .
I called them but the surgeon is off until tomorrow....they are under staffed bc of the holiday .
Can anyone who knows about this tell me a tying about this recovery?
Any help would be appreciated .
Again, I'm sorry about my dog not being a yorkie but this forum seems to know a lot about this surgery .

Thank you In advance
R
I am so sorry your baby is not feeling well. My little female had her liver shunt repaired 4 years ago. She stayed in the hospital for 2 nights and then was released to me. She was very, very clingy when she was first released and was not too interested in food. She did not come home on antibiotics or antiseizure meds, but each dog is different. Was your little one having seizures or neurological symtoms prior to the surgery? Lola was not, nor was she on antibiotics. The antiseizure meds could be making your little one throw
up or it could be the other meds. We were also not close to where we had the surgery performed. If it were me and she were not considerably better very, very soon, I would take her to my local vet to have her checked. I think she should be tired and a little sore, but I also think that 3-4 days post-op she should be improving each day...if not, she definitely needs to be seen. I would not want to wait any longer. Keep us posted...
Lolasmom1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!