View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 09:44 AM   #5
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

I would block him from his old spots and watch him like a hawk or crate him when you leave the room. This type of dog I would just take out once every 30 minutes for a couple of weeks during the day IN ADDITION to after a nap, play or grooming session, any intense loving/petting session, good romp, outside walk, after a package arrives, visitors arrive/leave - any intense excitement, meals, as soon as they emerge from the crate, obedience training session - any activity. This gives the dog the sense that whatever urges he's having to potty, he knows he'll soon be going outside where he'll eventually learn that once he pees or pottys, his scent is there for all the world to enjoy! His canine nature wants to do that - leave his mark for the most possible to behold. Once they get this territorial marking in their "yard" idea in their canine psyche, they are very keen to keep updating and overriding that scent with current info. It's natural for a dog to "go" outside and mark his territory to warn other predators. But the pee pads and being allowed to "go" in the house can confuse them and it is warm and comfy there and they can get really confused.

To de-program a dog from going potty in the house, as awful as it is for the appearance of the home, I just put large cardboard boxes or gates up to block them off for getting to their former favorite spots and literally set the clock for every 30 minutes during the day. I give over my life to working with that dog's potty problem. If the dog is asleep, I do forego the schedule and restart it once he awakens and we go out. An instant treat and praise as soon as he goes and if he doesn't, either wait for 2 or 3 hours until he does or bring him inside and DEVOTE yourself to watching for signs he's sniffing the floor, running about with purpose, walking near the edge of the room or anything lying on the floor and whisk him outside again.

Take him to his potty spot and say, "Potty outside" in a matter of fact tone and wait. Treat if he goes, wait if he doesn't but when you do come inside, watch him all of the time. If you have to leave the room, carry him with you, take him on leash or crate him. Then when you are back, out of the crate and outside again. And he just cannot access his old spots at all.

It will wear you out but you will lose some weight this way. Soon that dog will learn that he'll be going out all the time, he'll want to mark his spots outside, knows if he tries to "go" indoors he'll just be told "No" or "uh oh", scooped up and taken out so eventually when he starts to pee/potty inside, he'll instantly realize "oh, I'm about to get taken out" and catch himself, look to you. Take him right out and say "Good boy" on the way. He'll get the message that you know he caught himself before the act and approve.

The 30 minute rule helped me housebreak many a rescue dog and kept me in good shape to boot. After that, I continued confinement when I couldn't watch the dog like a hawk or took them with me and watched them in the new room but eventually that schedule breaks down the most stubborn house-pee'er and he starts to know that if he tries to go inside, I'm there scooping him up or herding him outside so he just begins to stop even trying and comes to me to "tell" me he needs to go out. "Telling" usually involves prolonged staring at you as they stand before you, going in fast circles, looking a lot at the door outside or going to the door and looking at you, then at the door then at you over and over. Some come and put their paws up on your lap, look you right in the face! That's when you know your hard work and aching legs and back have paid off. He's learned going out is what we do now and let's get on with it, Mom, is the new norm.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!