View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 05:10 AM   #1
Wallee
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Default Have my cake and eat it too?

Hello everyone. I am sure those of you who are seasoned Yorker owners will think I am nuts but I am just looking for advice from the "experienced" once again.
Wallee currently uses pee pads in the house however will go outside as well. My problem is, the pad is in a spot in the living room that he kept young to before I used the pads. I steamed the carpet and tried moving the pad closer to the door, but he kept going back to the original spot so I put it back. I leave the pad down and during the day when I am sitting with him if I hear rustling on the pad I will quickly ask him if he wants to go outside and he will go out back with me and go. "Sometimes" he will go to the back door and ask to go out for a poo and I will immediately go out with him. Since he won't eat breakfast and does the majority of his eating at night he usually has to do this within the first half hour of getting up. Today, we went out for almost 20 minutes and all he wanted to do was pick up things on the ground to eat. We go back in and he goes straight to the pad to poo.
I find while I have the pad down that he seems to go there very often, sometimes within 15 minutes of a long walk.
Am I encouraging him to pee more often and confusing him giving him options? He got fixed in Nov. so I was hoping he would slow down on the pee frequency. When I go out, even for 4 hours, I leave down the pad and he doesn't use it. I immediately take him out then and he goes.
He is 9 months old now. Will I ever get him to "prefer" going outside to pee? I let him out any time he asks but find myself standing out there more times than not watching him run around munching on anything he can pick up.
Sorry for such a long winded story, just wanted to paint a clearer picture.
Wallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!