View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 12:50 PM   #11
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

I am going to be another poster that will say it depends.

It depends on a whole lot. First I look at the realistic time a person would have to spend with the dog. In caring, training, grooming etc. Of course most ppl work, that means the dog needs to be exercised before/after work, and as a puppy need someone to come in mid-day.
Add in hobbies, some folks love to golf on the wkends, or snowboard/ski, travel a whole lot for business and leisure.

And if they have children. There will be all the child related activities, and necessary time a parent needs to spend with their children.

So is there really space in your life for a dog? Not just when you feel like it and have a spare hour or two. Dogs need atttention 365 days a year.

The temperament of the breed and the specific temp of the pup is very important when matching a prospective owner to a dog.

As I breed a large guard breed - this is very key. The owners must commit to a CD level obedience title secured either through AKC or CKC in Canada.
Realistically that would take 200 hours of training over 18mths or so. No child would be allowed to walk the dog alone. These beasties can go to 130 lbs.

While for Yorkies that level of training is not necessary, but they need more than just puppy obedience classes. They need to have a reliable Come, Stay, and STOP and LEAVE IT and DROP IT command. And it would be more than nice if they walked easily on lead.

This is for your dogs safety in and around the house and outside on lead.

Running children, screaming, yelling, hitting each other or smashing dolls or toys into ppl or things, is something that no dog is truly comfortable with.

So ask yourself do you truly have the spare time every day to care for another life?

Are you willing to also train, groom, provide good vet care, and emergency treatment as needed?

Have you thought about how to keep a puppy safe from young children, and the children safe from the puppy?

Financially are you in a position to afford a Yorkie that has been bred for health, temperament and structure; at the minimum this means the parents have been bred for same and have the health testing to prove it.

I wish you luck with your decision. And I am so happy you are researching first.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!