View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #5
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

I think it just all depends - on the dog, on the kids, on the parents. I think it's a bit more maintenance with small dogs, just because of their size... it's easier for them to get hurt, even by a well meaning child. But then again I think that too often people are way too lax when it comes to big dogs and kids. They have a Golden and just think "oh he puts up with everything and doesn't care!" and then allow children to climb on, pull ears, etc. Every dog has a breaking point and I think ALL dogs and children should be watched together very closely. So if you are doing so, there is not much difference between a small dog and a bigger dog, because IMO they both need to be watched just as much. But of course there is going to be breeds that ARE more tolerant than others. Jackson is fantastic with kids, but will get nervous with really loud, obnoxious kids, and I NEVER allow him anyone to pick him up. He's big anyway though so most kids can't. However if a child were to hurt him accidentally even, he most likely would snap. And he's very sweet and trained and well mannered, but his threshold isn't as big as, say, most Goldens.

I think it just takes common sense, teaching children right from wrong, and socializing dogs to children.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!