Thread: Crate question
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 06:26 AM   #1
Handlewithcare
Yorkie Yakker

Default Crate question

J slept in his crate for the first time last night. He was a bit upset to start with but with some firm instruction he went to sleep. He woke us up about an hour in to be taken out (he wouldn't poo outside before bed no matter how long we stayed out -I think he gets too tired) so I'm thankful he lets us know!

I move the crate into the living room during the day and have the door open, he is in and out with his teddy and has fallen asleep in there once (with the door open).

I've popped him in there when I nip to the loo and he whimpers at first but quietens down when I stay 'stop' firmly. Then he bites at his teddy until I come back and I give him a treat and let him out.

Am I doing this right? Are there any bad elements to this because if so I really want to cut them out now. It feels natural and fluid to us but I feel we must get the way we do things clear and set from the start.

Also at night I put a cover over the crate which seemed to help him but I haven't pulled it round during the day. Should it always be a case of pulling the cover down when he is in there or should I just let him get on with it and only put the cover down at night?
Handlewithcare is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!