View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

If he is shaking from stress from noise, even when its not going on, he likely knows it could start up at any time and he may be living in a state of apprehension, always fearing and waiting for the next round of it.

Many dogs are bought to be lovely companions but many dogs, especially nervous or unsure, insecure dogs, need more than just hanging out being a companion that is walked or played with when it's convenient. They often need meaningful interaction and a sense of purpose to their lives, especially if ridden with nerves and fears.

My Tibbe tends to nerves, fears of odd or strange noises, and I keep him involved with most of what I do, talking to him as I do things through the day and inviting his "help" to investigate what I might be working with, letting him sniff, see what's going on. He'll then often go back and lie down to watch, feeling he is "in" on my project. Frequently, I'll walk over to him and show him something, let him sniff it where he is. This keeps an interaction going that gives him a sense of involvement and keeps his tendency to "nerves" at bay.

Giving a job to a nervous or stressed dog is one of the kindest things you can do. Playing interactive games such as hiding treats throughout the room and teaching them to "Seek treats" and applauding, celebrating when they do. There are interactive toys at pet shops that hide treats under little doors the dogs can open with their noses to reveal the treat while other doors have no hidden treat. Putting his meals in a series of kong toys so that he has to work and chase the toys to get his food out can keep him thinking about how best to get his food out rather than worrying or stressing.

Getting him a little agility jump, a drum to climb up on and some other agility equipment and teaching him how to use it all can keep him happy and busy if done with loving patience.

His behavior can also be modified positively by not coddling him or soothing him when he is shaking but by redirecting him to the job of learning obedience and giving him a nice treat when he does the trick. It will involve him in doing something productive and get his mind off his stress as long as the trainer is very upbeat, calm, gives only positive reinforcement and keeps his interest.

A thunder shirt might be an option. It is worth a try.

Does he have a place where he can go to escape to his own little safe "den" where he can go in and be in private when he needs? Sometimes dogs need an escape - a place to go feel safe. They shouldn't be allowed to stay in there all the time, cowering from life, but it can be a place that helps a nervous, unsure dog have a feeling of at least temporary security. A crate covered on three sides by a blanket or a plastic airline carrier full enclosed with vents and a wire door are good for that.

But first and foremost, let the vet check him all over and run tests. It could be that some mild medication could help him as you all begin working with him to give his life a new direction of action and meaning.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!