View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
Verbena
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Hello and welcome to YT. I would first check out the YTCA website and see if any of those breeders on there first. Then I have a list of questions that I found are very helpful when I am talking to reputable breeder. I have these questions infront of me when I am talking to them and I write everything down. Good luck. I hope this helps.

1.)Can I see the sire (dad) and dam (mom) ? Always try to see the sire and dam. Especially the dam. Ask if you can hold her. Run your hand under her and make sure she has boobies. Sometimes a breeder will show you a small pretty bitch and say it's the dam and that pup hasn't had a litter. Just a little trick that might help you out.

2.) How long have you been breeding yorkies?

3.) Where does the puppy spend its time during the day and is she being socialized?and the dogs?

4.)How often do you breed your females?

5.)How many litters do you have a year?

6.) Do you require your puppies to be spayed or neutered? Do you give full registration or limited registration?

7.) What age do you let your puppies go to their new homes?

8.) Do you offer support after the puppy has come home?

9.)What is the price of your puppies? (note: usually males are cheaper than females- however, dogs should not vary in cost depending on their size)

10.)How much do the sire and dam weigh?

11.) Food....... what kind, how much, where available? Most breeders will send a few days’ supply home w/you till you can locate your own source.

12.) Ask if the pups have been vet checked and is he current on all he shots?

13.) Ask the name of the vet and call for a reference. Try to make a vet appointment the day you pick the puppy up, then if anything is wrong with the puppy, you won't have time to fall in love with it if you have to bring it back. You'll be able to judge what kind of person breeder is when you meet and start asking questions.

14.) Does the breeder have references of previous dog owners and is she willing to provide them to you?

15.)Have you had any genetic conditions in your lines? (ie. liver shunt, luxating patella - which can be genetic, but not always)

16.)Ask the breeder for a history on the sire and dam of the puppy. Reputable breeders will screen breeding pair for any genetic deficiencies.

17.) Ask the breeder if they will guarantee a full refund of purchase price in writing on the bill of sale if this dog develops liver shunt, legg perthes, or congestive heart failure within the first 5 years of it's life?

18.) Can I have copies of the health clearances? Many breeds are prone to certain genetic conditions. The breeder should offer health clearances--documentation from an independent agency, such as the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals or the Canine Eye Registration Foundation--that the parent and grandparent dogs were tested for hereditary problems.

Last edited by Verbena; 12-16-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Verbena is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!