Thread: my night owl!!
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 05:57 AM   #4
gontygirl
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky71 View Post
my little guy is 9 months..he generally sleeps in his bed in the kitchen...He has never been a good sleeper..He constantly loves to tip toe into my bedroom to check in on me throughout the night..The other night at 3.00am he woke me up with a ball in his mouth wanting to play..Sometimes i pick him up because he puts his paws on the edge of my bed and travels all along the edge to wake me up..He can easily jump on and when he wants to he does..Its during the night and early morning is when he doesn't want to jump on but rather wants me to wake me up and pick him up..Last night was funny, i think he was cold because he whined for me to pick him up and wanted to snuggle with me by putting his little face on top of mine.. He generally is not a snuggler...I love him to death and i guess i do spoil him, but boy does he rule my sleep!!! I haven't been able to sleep in since I've had him at 11 weeks! Anybody have any theories why he doesn't sleep throughout the night? Does anybody else's doggie have a strange sleep pattern?
First of all...and I'm going to be honest here... Dogs are packing animals and they generally don't like to sleep in another room away from their family. Also, if you don't like your dog up on your bed (or it's an issue for your partner...), then I would recommend that you crate train him so he can sleep right next to your side of the bed and have you as a comforting view ALL NIGHT LONG and he'll be so calm and happy to know he's not apart from his family. There will be a learning curve in teaching him not to whine or bark in the crate, but he's already 9 months so it should be a breeze. As long as you have been training him and he's heard you say "No" or some kind of negative sound when he's been naughty...it will be easy to crate train cus all you have to do is say a negative in an unpleasant way and he'll stop and be quiet. It's up to you to make him behave and teach him manners. You sound like you're not enjoying his waking you up in the middle of the night...it's on you to change his behavior. He's a dog...you're in a leadership position...lead.

I have my boy in his cozy crate perfectly sized for his little frame, he has a couple of toys (no squeeky one....lol), a polar fleece blanket within a tiny doggy bed (he's 2 and a half pounds so he very tiny and I can fit all these things and he's still able to stretch out or curl up, his choice). I keep him on a big chair that has tall elbow rests (no way he can tip over the crate no matter how how he tries...tho he would never), and he is eye to eye with me, level wise...so he can watch me sleep. My other dog is 16 pounds and she sleeps ON the bed between my husband and myself.

I honestly have never understood people who get dogs and raise them in the kitchen. Night time is dark and lonely... Yes they eventually learn to stop the whining and crying but a packing animal has no business being alone at night in seperate quarters than their pack... Please don't tell us that you also work thru out the day...so he can be alone all day...then again at night. I'm not judging you so much as I'm putting a voice to a dog's thoughts... If he wanted to be alone, he'd been born a CAT lol I hope you try crate training...so he can be with you more.

Last edited by gontygirl; 12-16-2012 at 05:58 AM.
gontygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!