View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
princetonbaby
Yorkie Yakker

Default He's SOOO thirsty all the time - and throws up too often to be normal...

Hi all,

I did some random reading, as usual, on older posts by people in the past years with similar questions, but would like to post my own about my own boy.

Princeton has always drank A LOT of water, in my opinion and I keep it readily available for him. When his bowl is dry I will find him in my face barking or whining and running towards kitchen where I keep the water bottles and he gets so excited when he sees a bottle of water. I can't even drink my own bottled water without him in my lap these days.

Of course this leads to excessive trips outside and since he is only 4 months old, training sure is exhausting this mama. lol

The past couple of days he hasn't been really eating well. He normally would eat 3 times a day and everything in his bowl. Yesterday he ate half of what I put down and so after him not eating well the day before, I left food down for him to free feed and he didn't touch it.

Today when we got up this morning, he of course drank all of his water and then prompty puked up foamy white stuff, then all of the water.

We recently switched from the food he was sent home eating, to Blue Buffalo and he was FINE up until a couple days ago. His appetite isn't completely gone as he was eating treats when he perform a treat worthy behavior or task I initiated for him. He was also in my face trying to eat my food and whining and crying when I crate him while I eat.

I've had to initiate feeding by hand feeding a few days before, and then a couple days ago he just plays, paws at my hand or his bowl, tips it, or takes a kibble and drops it out of his mouth, over and over (it's quite comical to observe, but it worries me)

He is still insanely thirsty though. He drinks way more than the suggest 1oz per lb of weight (he was just shy of 5lbs when he got his last shot a few weeks ago)

Although behavior wise he is more normal than anything, he has been on my lap or next to me almost all day. I finally got him to eat more, by wetting and warming his kibble, but he still left some in the bowl.

I call my vet and the ER vet. They both didn't seem concerned. He pukes a lot as it is, but its to the point now where I just want to see if something else is wrong.

He gets carsick and sometimes pukes if he plays too hard right after eating (so I usually crate him for 30 mins after he eats) he's puked in te morning if it was too long between meals, etc. Usually when he pukes its a lot of kibble and so I wondered if he was over eating (although he is not free-fed and it is measured) or what.

OKAY THIS POST FEELS VERY ALL OVER THE PLACE TO ME NOW, BUT I'M GOING TO KEEP GOING.. LOL.

Anyways, we have an appointment on Monday at our vet and I'm going to ask about Diabetes Inspidus. Is there anything else I should ask about?

The first few visits to the vet we saw the same Dr and I really liked him. The last two shots he had, it was two different Drs (same practice) and I wasn't the happiest about that but as they were just boosters and his rabies and he'd done so well with his other shots, I didn't fret too much. I asked about his car sickness and was given dosing info for dramamine although I've never administered any meds to him (besides his heartworm) and avoid car trips with him as much as possible.

Does anyone else have an otherwise normal healthy pup who drinks excessively? Is there ANYTHING else I should be concerned about. I don't think a week has gone by since I've had him (and I've had him since he was 8.5 weeks -- I didn't know before that that was too young, I'm learning as I go) that he hasn't puked. But he's also never not wanted his kibble either.

Today he has been crying and begging for water WAY more than usual and I kind of don't want to keep filling the bowl because I don't want him to puke again but I can't deny him. I even bought him a puppy water bottle for his crate, but I got one that was too big, so I am going to exchange it for a smaller spout tomorrow.

I guess my main question is can you all give me ideas of what to ask the vet on Monday and what to keep an eye on. I don't think he is "SICK" per se, but at the same time... I don't think its exactly normal either.

Thanks! I'm very wordy when I post, so thanks for reading through and bearing with me!
princetonbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!