View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 12:10 PM   #5
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Sorry to say this, but wait a bit... she will bark at your work too, once she figures out it is "her space" too.

Okay now you need to really mean this, deep down within, what I've come to learn from the great trainers, is when they say "down" or "out" there is no equivocation - they believe the dog "should" do it and just don't even think about a no response from the dog when they issue a command. That trainer confidence helps a whole lot, and one I am still learning to exhibit.

So protective dog. With hubby if she is barkng at him on the bed or on the couch. No hesitation or lack of commitment from you. Say NO - firmly but mean it to the depth of your toes - that behaviour is anathema to you. It is not so much how LOUD you speak, but the conviction behind your tones. The No - is accompanied by segregation - into her crate - into her xpen - or into the other room.

Somehow for me, from the very beginning with my pups, I believed the STOP command was so very essential - and I believed this to the depths of my soul. To keep them safe, to keep us safe. So I did start training from the time the pups were eight weeks old to always obey the stop command. Anywhere, anytime, no matter what else is going on. I countenanced no
dis-obedience on this. This means when I issued this command, I ALWAYS corrected if disobeyed, and I ALWAYS rewarded for prompt obedience. I have been known with pups to take 45 minutes to walk up a hill, and at various times issuing a stop command, if they didn't obey, and moved on, they were corrected and we walked someway "down the hill" and started again. I didn't lose patience (often
The other command I believe in for our home life, is "out" and or "go". That means when I want you out of the kitchen for what-ever reason you go out and stay out until I say you can come in again. With the exception of Razzle who gosh darn him, still challenges this command, every dog has got this with-in two weeks. And yes that means at dinner time, if they venture a paw in and I correct them and they don't back out, I get up and if necessary physically move them out. With this command, I issue in a normal voice no stress - but total confidence that this is what I want them to do, and guess what they are doing it! Razzle does it, and about 3 minutes later tries to sneak back in.....
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!