View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #6
Harrysmum
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
We have an 11-week old Morkie boy named Gus, who we are indoor-training. We have had him for about 3 weeks.

He sleeps in his crate beside our bed (already sleeping all night, no messes in his crate!). During the day (we both work 9-5 with no chance of getting home), he is gated into the downstairs bathroom with his food/water, 2nd bed, toys, and pee pads. Generally, he does very good with going on his pads, although we are running into problems with him tearing them up, or pulling them all over the bathroom, then going where they were supposed to be. We are thinking of switching to astroturf instead of pads to remedy that.

The problem we are having is when we get home and let him out of his room to play etc (always under direct supervision). He bolts away to explore and chase our cat, and usually ends up under the dining room table, where he pees and poops on the carpet, often within a couple minutes of being let out.

I know its too soon to expect him to know what's what, but for the sake of my sanity, when can we expect him to know to go back into his room to pee when he's out in the house? He has never made the slightest attempt to get to his pads when he's out.
I personally think it's FAR too young for him to know - I think you're striking lucky when he happens to go on the pads, because he's in a confined space.

When you get home from work, I'd go INTO his room, let him do his glad-to-see-you-nuttiness, and then don't leave the room 'til he's done his business. Say "good wee-wee, good poo-poo" as he's going, and give him his favourite treat.

After 8 hours 'home alone' he's probably ecstatic and longing to break free, he's not going to be thinking (yet!) about going into 'that place' - probably just the opposite!

It WILL happen, but probably not for quite a while yet....sorry! Good luck, Sally + Harry x
Harrysmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!