View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #29
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

I give nothing.

Supplements have their place, but I have no desire to give my dogs a pinch of this and a squirt of that daily. aLL medications AND supplements have side effects. Supplements are not regulated. Safety, potency, and interactions with medications given are always a concern.

I would talk to your vet before starting any supplement. JMHO, while there are some good ones that are useful in certain cases, many have no backing at all. I won't burn a hole in my pocket for them. The supp industry is full of gimmicks. If they are making claims and cannot prove it, they are doing so illegally. If there are no studies behind these products and claims are being mase that is a problem.

When I homecook, I use Balance It. A correctly balanced mixture of human vitamins and minerals is also ok. Otherwise supps are reserved for medical problems under the supervision of a vet.

A dog food that says AAFCO on it already has plenty of vitamins in it. Thy are probably mostly synthetic too. Adding too many more can throw off the balance and it is completely unnecessary.

My yorkie used to get digestive enzymes..for a pancreas related medical problem.
they were real porcine derived, not plant based. No medical condition, no digestive enzymes here. The pancreas makes 70x what it needs.

No problem withbcoconut oil and the fact that it is aMCT. My dog eats it..as an infredient in her kibble. My dogs don't appear to have any need for extra fat. It is not magical anyway. I think people are overusing this internally and too much fat isn't going to do a yorkie any favors medically.

Cosequin/dasequin are great. I would give them if medically indicated.

I prefer SAMe to milk thistle and used to give it to ky liver compromised dog. I don't think it made a significant difference abd see no reason to spend twenty bucks a month on it for a healthy dog.

Etc.
Just my $0.02.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!