View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #14
capt_noonie
www.yorkierescue.com
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb1 View Post
Well, I talked to the breeder and my vet.....They both say to try flax seed, (ground up), put 1 tsp. daily in her food. This is to help with her itchy skin. They said it might take a while but it will help. Has any one heard of doing this for itchy skin? I think I want to try this, before I try switching her to a grain-free food.
My vet also suggested flax, specifically a product called Missing Link. It did nothing for Uni. Also, Wylie's Mom said something about using ML and/or flax but I forgot. Maybe she will come back here and post the reason. I just remember her saying she didn't like ML bc it had flax. I think.

Anyway, so far nothing has really helped Uni, except for the steroids, which of course you cannot have them on steroids long term. But we had to give her a round bc she had a bad reaction to a flea allergy and was ripping out her hair and tearing up her skin. Is it that bad for you baby? Or just red skin, but not broken?

Uni still itches, but doesn't break skin, just hair. We bathe once a week with rx shampoo (I don't think once a week is too much. My vet said 2x a week with the rx shampoo when we first got it, now once a week) So now her flea allergy reaction is over with, she still itches, so I think it's either environmental allergies or food allergy. Still have not been able to pinpoint what it is.

Also my vet said you can do tests which take for ever and are expensive, sometimes you can find out what is the trigger, sometimes still after testing you can not. Or you find that they are allergic to dust, which you can't do anything about. So best to just manage the problem best you can. If the dog is tearing up the skin, you can't have him/her living like that either, so in a case like that the dog may have to stay on a steroid for life. That's last resort.

ETA duh I didn't even answer your question. If it is grains she's allergic to, putting flax on top of food with grains isn't going to help. It's pretty much just trial and error to find what works.

Last edited by capt_noonie; 11-30-2012 at 12:22 PM.
capt_noonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!