View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 08:55 AM   #3
MandiesMom
and Shelby's too
Donating Member

Hi, my responses are in red below

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkCrimson View Post
I have my Bowser boy who is a year and a half now. Well I've been wanting another dog for him and for us for awhile now. Hubby is a bit reluctant which makes me worry however he does understand and agree with the benefits of a second dog. We spent some time with a Papillion and a MinPin and they were just not the dogs for me, I love my Yorkie! Bowsers breeder is having another litter and none of them are claimed yet... though they will be ready for new homes in about 2 months. I do have some questions though!

Just wanted to verify that the pups haven't been born yet, is that right? If not, then it will be more than 2 months before they are ready to leave their mom. They really should stay with mom and siblings until at least 12 weeks of age - This helps in their development and social skills with other dogs (which is exactly what you want if it's a second dog). The siblings will teach each other how to play and how "not" to bite hard and such.

1 - Should I get a boy or a girl, or does this even matter? Obviously the #1 concern is personality. But do you think sex will make a difference with Bowser? He likes ALL dogs, he has never met one he wasn't in love with.

I don't think it matters on the sex, but if you get another boy. What does matter IMO is that Bowser is already neutered (no matter the sex of the new pup). If the new one is a boy - it will help control fighting for territory and if it's a girl - well, obvious reasons.

2 - Is getting another Yokie more beneficial than getting a different, larger dog? Hubby really wants a Golden retriever and while I do LOVE Goldens, I just don't see how they can really play together and burn energy together like two dogs the same size could. Even if Bowser likes a big dog (which he would), he can't really bond with it the same way, can he?

I'm gonna say to follow your heart on the breed. Of course, we are all going to be for another Yorkie But, to ease your fears of a bigger dog (of which a GOLDEN is one of the best choices because of their general demeanor)...It won't matter on the bonding and playing. My sheltie mix is 68 lbs and he plays with Mandie (4 lbs 15 oz) constantly. They LOVE to play and the big one knows how to play "easy"...and we already had him for 3 years..he just knew. If you bring in a larger breed as a puppy, I think that's even better

3 - Should I wait to get a second dog? We are moving in May and it's going to be a hassle enough with one. However, right now I don't work so I would be able to spend a lot of time with it, and we have tile floors so I don't have to worry about carpet getting ruined.

Well, let's say the pup is ready in 12 weeks - that's March(ish). that gives you 2 months to get the new pup acclamaited and trained and such. If you aren't working now, all the better. I could see waiting - I think that's gotta be something you and your hubby decide on what's best.

And last of all, can you guys give me some general tips and experiences on what it was like getting a second dog?

The only tip I can give off the top of my head (what we did), when I brought in Mandie this is what I did: I left her in the car with my hubby and went inside and let my boy smell her all over my clothes. Then, I went out and got Mandie from hubby and brought her in (holding her) with her butt first so my boy could sniff and say hello. Then, we all went into a room we could close off and got on the floor and gradually let them get to know each other. We were lucky - it didn't take long for them to connect but just know..with any 2nd dog - it can take a while for the first to warm up.

OH! I just remembered another tip - always give the first dog praise and food and loving first so he doesn't feel like he's being replaced
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!