View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 09:30 PM   #15
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

We do what we can. Just get back to the fet tomorrow.

This is what I would do in this case (I'm not a vet just for the record - my dog does have severe allergies though):

Envir. allergies are much more common than food. It souds like itis food or food or envir. here though. Yes, shots/atopica/a derm should all be consider. But right now if youaretapped out, I'd go with the immediate relief/cheap route.

Steroid injection tos get her over this hump.
Steroids orally or awhile until you can sort out the situation (pred is fery cheap).
Rx hydrolyzed food with no treats, edible chews, or oral heartworm meds forat least two to three monts.
Save moey for the next step.

I woud not spend moey on socks in lieu of steroids.
I would not teach her ntto scratch when a ten cent pill coud alleviate the itch.
There are many foods marketed for allergies. Soe work for some dogs and not others. Lrx foods are the most likely o cut the itch across the board. To avoid pouring more money into different otc diets, I'd go straight to the hydrolyzed vet diets now. Probably the best to soend on now since she is suffering and thee foods are most likely to work.
Then after things improve you could go to another iet if you wanted.
I think Synotic has been d/c, but if your vet still has some that can work fery well for itchy ears.

Been there - minus scabs and bloody face. Ellie gets itchy paws, jaws, and ears tat he breaks open. Recurrent yeast in them too. then she has many intestial issues. A hydrolyzed rx diet keeps her fairly stable. She chews her lil paws for an hour a day otherwise.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!