View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
Carmeow
I♥ my girls Luma+Rosie
Donating Member

Unhappy Luma's allergy battle.

Deep sigh...well, I hesitate to post about Luma's health here because I really am doing all I can afford to do, but I need advice. This has been going on far too long. As long as we've had her.

Today I came home from work and Luma had blood all over her. Huge deep gashes half scabbed over above her eyes, and then I was inspecting her...my heart sank when I saw tons of scabs and blood on the corners of her lips under her mustache. Her ear is bloody deep inside, too. She's been scratching to death and it's worse than ever.

Here's the thing though, I thought she was improving. I've switched her food COUNTLESS times...put her on Nature's Variety with this oil I put on her kibble, its helped tremendously and she finally stopped biting at her legs and scratching herself. Until today. Nothing changed...still eating the same food...she has been indoors because we have to limit her time outside in the grass.

I still have no idea what her issue is. She had tons of tiny scabs on her belly and legs and those went away. Now she's scratching around her mouth and eyes til it bleeds. It looks like she got in a fight with some rabid dog or something. My heart is breaking for my little girl. I feel like a failure for not figuring out the source of her skin issues. I know it bothers her. I've been training her not to scratch, and she is getting good...she stops herself without me correcting her, but she'll start whining because she wants to scratch so badly.

I think I need to find a dermatologist. I'm willing to travel to Houston if I need to, but I know the A&M vet school is very good too, and right down the street. I don't know if allergy testing is worth it, I have brought her to our vet and they did a scrape to see if its not her food, but an infection or parasites and she is flea free, no demodex, no mange, no ear infection...shes been on antibiotics a couple times and it did not effect her skin at all. I've tried different shampoos, I rinse her three or four times to be sure there is no residue causing irritations. I dont know if its her food, or something outside....even when we keep her cooped up for weeks nothing helps, and then she's sad about staying in all the time. I'm about at my wit's ends and I know Luma is miserable. I want to help her. What can I do?

Could I put socks on her 24/7? I would never do something like try to have her declawed. Would socks keep her from scratching? I know that doesnt solve the real problem but I want to do anything possible to help her.

Last edited by Carmeow; 11-27-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Carmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!