View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
MyLeeNut
Yorkie Talker

Default What should I feed my 3 yorkie babies!? HELP!

Hi everyone,
I am hoping to gain some insight from all of you fellow yorkie owners. I am looking to change my 3 yorkies diets, who mind you are currently on different foods. I am so confused every time I look at the back of a dog food bag, speak with a veterinarian, speak with my holistic groomer...AHH!

History:

Peanut:5 yrs old:Liver Shunt survivor:Food-Prescription Royal Canin Hepatic LS: I rescued Peanut in November 2008 after treatment from a 5mm liver shunt. He was 1 and a half years old when he received surgery and was very near death. When I got him, I would have been surprised if he survived 6 months, here he is 4 years later and he is rockin'! He has reached his appropriate weight, his coat is now gorgeous, and has a sparkle in his eye. I am wondering if I should continue with his Hepatic LS food, which only provides 14% protein due to his previous history with liver shunt? I'm finding now that I may have to restrict his intake because he may be getting a little pudgy...I know that low protein intake is associated with higher body fat. Is he healthy enough to put on a regular diet? I have had his bile acids checked twice in the last two years, should I check again before changing food?

Haylee:5 yrs:Food-Mix of Prescription Royal Canin Hepatic LS and Prescription Science Diet Weight Management: Haylee is a very athletic, active yorkie who for the most part is healthy. We have battled on and off anxiety issues with occasionally throwing up blood, which has been addressed by the vet with endoscopy and multiple blood work-ups showing no ulcer or health concerns. We have had her bile acids checked which is showing slightly elevated enzymes leading us to believe she has MVD. Vet prescribed Hepatic LS. I do not think she is receiving nearly enough protein, mix of 14% and 19.2%, and has been sluggish and bloated lately (I think due to the Science Diet) and also gaining weight. My question is, what type of food do you feed your healthy adult, active yorkie?

Mya:5yrs:Food-Prescription Science Diet Weight Management: Mya has had a front right leg surgery from breaking it and has a pin in it, and both back legs have pins due to luxating patella surgeries. Due to these unfortunate events, she has a hard time being real active and gained quite a bit of weight a couple years ago. The Vet prescribed Science Diet Reduced Diet and she lost the weight she needed, although I was unhappy with the food, it's horrible. They they prescribed the Weight Management, which I am also unhappy with. Protein content is 19.2%. I hate Science Diet, way too many fillers and grains. What type of food is best for maintaing a healthy weight in a lesser active dog?

Sorry for the long post. I just need advice. Over the 7 years of being a Yorkie Owner (my first passed away from a congenital disorder and 2.5 yrs), I have always prided myself on feeding them the best. I have fed EVO, Innova, Wellness, Solid Gold...I've just not found the one that they are all satisfied with as well as myself. I am willing to feed them all different foods and money is no issue. (Royal Canin Hepatic is $90 for 25 lb bag!)
I WANT THE BEST FOR MY BABIES!

Thanks,
Rachel
& Peanut, Haylee, Mya
MyLeeNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!