View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 03:34 AM   #10
IdaPaulina
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_noonie View Post
Hello and welcome!

I think the danger of bringing your puppy outside is if you bring him in an area where other dogs may have been that haven't had their shots, or other wild animals that could have rabies, etc. But if you have an enclosed yard at your house where you know other animals can't get in, then I would consider it safe to bring him outside. Otherwise I would just to the pads in the box. In fact I did the same, pads in a cat box. When mine was a pup she would also play with the pads. You just have to take them away and say no. There is also a thing that is called a pad holder that basically looks like a frame that clicks the pad down and holds it in place. That way he can't play with it. pee pad holder - Google Search
Maybe you might be able to find something like this in France, or have one shipped there? These are pretty helpful.

Another tip is to have your pup's harness on all the time (make sure it's a comfy one) and tie his leash to your belt, that way he can't wander too far from you. If he seems to need to go, you will notice the signs. Sniffing, trotting around, or wanting to get away.

As for feeding, personally I like to feed on a schedule. That way I can kind of guess when it's time for them to go. Young puppies usually should eat about 4-5 small meals a day. My dog is now almost 6 years and I still break up her food into three small meals a day.

Good luck, and don't get too upset that other people are giving you a hard time about the pads. Not every forum is for everyone. You have to find the one that you are comfortable with. Hopefully you will like it here and stick around.

Unfortunately in my building there's no enclosed yard and there are lost of dogs on my street, as well as pigeons (anyone who has been to Paris knows that it's the city of pigeons) and homeless cats...so after talking to my vet and reading all the replies here on Yorkietalk I decided to hold off on taking him for walks until he's had his shots.

I do take him outside but only in his carrier or in my arms, I want him to be accustomed to being out in the streets and all the noises etc that this entails, wouldn't want him to be scared when I can finally take him out for real

Thanks for the tip about the pad holder, I'll definitely look into that!

Ean is doing really well with the pads, haven't had any accidents in two whole days now!

I haven't been able to find a harness that fits Ean yet, he's just too tiny! Although he has grown noticeably bigger since i brought him home

Even though I free feed him he's kind of on a self made schedule, he eats 4 times a day usually around the same times, so it's not too difficult to anticipate when he needs to go!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!