View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 12:13 PM   #11
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkiemom1 View Post

I used to work with a lady that would "scold" her Yorkie to the point of her trembling in fear....usually over housebreaking issues.....she did scare her so badly she had a seizure....she was actually bragging about that. I clearly think you can terrorize one of these babies into many different traumatic, emotional responses, so I would not put a heart attack out of the realm of possibility. This breaks my heart....please dont scold your baby.....try positive correction methods.....focus on the good and redirect/ignore the mistakes... These babies are very sensitive and scolding one to the point of trembling in fear, is probably causing emotional trauma you are going to have issues with also. Maybe a breed that requires a more aggressive Alpha owner would be a better match for you, and both you and your pet would be happier with each other? There are breeds that will not tremble in fear with "scolding".
No breed of dog what-ever size "should" have to tremble in fear from a verbal scolding!!!!

That poor dog! Terrorizing a dog, is not TRAINING IT!. Some dogs, no matter what their size is small or large, are just more naturally timid.

Razzle has never trembled in fear of me and he is 6.5 lbs and a very stubborn Yorkie to boot.

So to back up a bit dear OP, if your voice commands are causing your dog to tremble in fear, you need to change your approach pronto!

This means you soften your voice, you still don't accept bad behaviour, but you ratchet back a whole lot on your voice corrections. And other than a 10 ounce leash correction - you don't use physical corrections at all.

You can have a soft yet "firm" voice. Practice with a tape recorder so you can hear how you sound.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!