View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 11:53 AM   #8
LunasMomma
Izzy's Momma Too!
Donating Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomo View Post
If your fur baby is a strong chewer, I don't recommend cutting the antler in half...it can chip & crumble. I bought the ones that were split & it started to crumble in small pieces. Don't think it's safe for them although they say it's 100% digestible. I ended up throwing it away. They mainly lick & grind off the middle part where it contains all the vitamins & nutrients. I don't think the outer part is meant to be eaten. They lose interest bc it's so hard to get the middle part out.

We just stick to himalayan chews, I've found them to last the longest. I've been throwing them away when it gets small (1.5-2") but recently, I've learned that you can pop it in the microwave for 40-45 mins & they become a puffy cheesy treat! Have yet to try it, they're still working on it.
The microwave trick works great! If they have just chewed the end off, it magically puffs back up again. It doesn't get soft, it is still hard. Luna likes them better for some reason after they've been nuked

As far as cutting the antler, I wouldn't. If you go to Pet Supermarket (this is where I got ours), they are in bins and you can choose the size/circumference. I got two different ones, one is fairly thin (I thought Luna would like that one, her mouth is tiny). Izzy loves both of them, but Luna just looked at it like "so?"
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!