View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #14
DvlshAngel985
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrag86 View Post
Okay...this is my question.

How do you all feel about your Yorkie being around children? Particularly when you first adopt a Yorkie. My Lou'e is about 1lb a couple ounces...and I live in my boyfriend's Mom's basement apartment...she goes down to check on him from time to time...but her grandkids do come over often and I don't want her to get the idea of allowing them down there to "play" with them. One is aged 4, the other 2. They can be pretty rough as I have seen them with her own dog (who is a Jack Russel, a bit chunky too).
I am just incredibly afraid as I have heard stories of children squeezing them a bit much or just dropping them...thinking they are "stuffed animals".
How do I go about this? Should I just tell her I don't want them around? Am I being a bit too paranoid?
I am turning into a crazy dog lady!! Hahaha. But I am cool with it.
I think your concerns are very valid. Is your mother in law checking in on your pup because he's alone and you asked her to? Or is she taking her grandkids down there to see the cute puppy? To me their is a difference in how you handle the situation. If you are asking her to do you the favor of checking in on your little guy, and she's also caring for her grandkids (to be read the only adult in the room) I don't think it'd be out of place to ask her to please tell her grandkids to see the puppy with their eyes and not with their hands. She can go, check that Lou'e real quick to make sure he's eating, drinking etc, and then go back upstairs with the kids in tow. I don't think it's fair to ask her to leave a 2 and 4 year old alone upstairs. If there was another adult upstairs, then she can do the quick check on Lou'e alone.

Now, if your MIL is using Lou'e as an activity to do with her grandkids without you asking her to check in, then I'd politely ask her not to. Tell her you truly appreciate her taking the time to check in on Lou'e while you're out, because it shows she understands how much Lou'e means to you, but it might not be the best idea.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!