View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 06:08 AM   #1
Wallee
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Default Am I being too protective???

Hi Everyone:

I have a question about "doggy play dates". I have always wanted Wallee to be able to play with other dogs as it seems to be the thing that wears him out the best.

I have a neighbor with a Duck Toller who is now 3.5 months old and already quite a bit bigger than Wallee. When she brought her over for a play date a couple times I noticed that when Wallee did his usual "submissive" thing and laid on his back, she would start "mouthing around his neck". She would have his whole neck in her mouth which made me nervous and I would step in. I worry that since she is still so young and she is also very dominant that she will hurt him during play. She has also been to puppy classes and is learning, however is still very much the silly puppy. My neighbor keeps asking if she can come over to play and I am not sure if I should let them or just tell her I am not comfortable. I don't want to hurt her feelings, however do not want my puppy hurt.

I also have another friend with a little s**tzu/malteese mix that likes to get together. this friend's dog is a few pounds heavier however about the same size. The problem here is that when Wallee gets into the dogs face (like puppies do) I hear the dog snap at him. I kind of freak out about this and separate them when this happens as I think he will bite Wallee and hurt him. His owner says we need to let them sort it out but since I was told at puppy class that Wallee is always on the bottom of the play pile cause he is so passive I worry that other dogs will take advantage.

I know this is a long winded one. I did take him to a doggy day care one day and when I went to pick him up, he was outside with about 8 other little dogs so I know he is good socially.

Should I just let him play with these other dogs and learn not to worry so much?
Wallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!