View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 05:38 AM   #6
tokipoki
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeti View Post
My boy is overweight not alot just a pound or two. He's 9 in. tall about 16 in long(yes he's longer then I thought he would be too) he weights 10 pounds but you can't feel his ribs or back bone so I know he should be thinner. I got the low cal. blue buffalo but I'm not sure how much to feed, from now on no table food but veg/fruit. He does have a dental stick W/ his toothpaste on it for his teeth everyday.(vet said do that because he will not let you clean his teeth.)Should he be taking a vitamin ? Yes I know I sound like a over protective mother. But he is my heart I want him healthy & with me as long as possible. I would sure appreciate any help. I don't want to under feed him. One place I read says feed him once aday then the next says 2-3 times.I so unsure what to do. thank you
Toki lost a little over a pound (she also started at 10 pounds) over the course of 5 or 6 weeks (however long it took us to get through a 4-lb bag Wellness Core Reduced Fat...good amount of protein, especially for a low-cal food).

I was feeding her the amount recommended for weight loss on the back of the bag so she was getting 1/2 cup day (we split this into 2 meals) of a food that was 360 calories/cup. I also added water to her kibble to help make her feel full. We pretty much cut out treats completely. I'd account for the dental chew in your Sweeti's daily calorie allowance for sure. I don't really give Toki vitamins although I do supplement her diet with salmon oil and Dasuquin (for her joints) everyday. I did notice on the Wellness Core RF, her coat got dry..not sure if that was directly caused by the low fat in the formula but just an observation I had. After we finish this next bag of food in a month or so, I'm going to switch her over to a regular formula since I *think* we will be able to increase her activity level to something more involved and frequent.

Increasing activity would be the best if it is possible. Although Toki has restricted activity due to FHO surgery, we were still able to take her on several 10 minute walks throughout the day. Hopefully after we have our 2 month FHO follow-up visit next week, the vet will give the okay to do longer walks and swimming so that we can sign her up for an easy swim class or find a rehab facility which will help build muscle mass and burn calories.

Good luck!
tokipoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!