View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
MissLexi
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Portosystemic shunt yorkie

We adopted a yorkie in March 2012 as a rescue.... We'd only had her 2 days when she began having seizures that would impair her so badly she couldn't walk. We had her to the vet 3 times the first week only to find out she had a PS.
At the time we got her, she was under weight (3.4lbs) very little fur growth, and had seizures daily that would last from 5-35 min. She was NOT a candidate for surgery because of malnutrition, and severity of seizures. (Of course finances are also an obstacle at the present moment) we were informed the surgery would be around $2700 and it would only possible lengthen her life by a year or 2.
I sort of began my own venture into maintaining our little "blessing"! I researched diets, snacks, etc. I have spent the past 9 months in trial and error...
I devised my own diet for Lexi, I've found she can tolerate dried mangos, pineapple, and kiwi as snacks. Breakfast is applesauce with cracker mixture and medicine, I keep a ground up turkey slices and hot dog mixture on hand in the fridge. She gets 1-2 tsp per serving, (3 times per day) Mixed with 2 spoons of crumbled townhouse crackers (with crushed Centrum vitamins and tums smoothies)
Miss Lexi is now up to 4.7 lbs, has more than enough fur, and her last seizure was 8 weeks ago! She's super hyper, and thinks she's a "person"!!
She has learned 3 tricks (shaking paws, speaking, & twirling)
I'm mainly looking to connect with others "doggie mommies" that are dealing with the same problem. Any suggestions on diets, snacks, etc? Our current problem is not making it thru the night without at least 2 trips outside (which is rough for working doggie mommies and daddies"....)
MissLexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!